Friday, June 12, 2015

John Green Responded On Tumblr To Accusations Of Sexual Abuse

The Looking for Alaska and The Fault in Our Stars author had a response to online hate directed at him on Tumblr.

AP Richard Drew

You want me to defend myself against the implication that I sexually abuse children?

Okay. I do not sexually abuse children.

Throwing that kind of accusation around is sick and libelous and most importantly damages the discourse around the actual sexual abuse of children. When you use accusations of pedophilia as a way of insulting people whose work you don't like, you trivialize abuse.

I'm tired of seeing the language of social justice–important language doing important work–misused as a way to dehumanize others and treat them hatefully.

So we all seek (and seek to share) the jolt that accompanies outrage and anger. As studies have shown, the complicated dopamine rush that comes with righteous indignation is very powerful, and I'm indulging it simply by responding to the outrageous accusation that my work is somehow evidence of sexual abuse.

Via fishingboatproceeds.tumblr.com


View Entire List ›

0 comments:

Post a Comment