Friday, April 17, 2015

An Honest Discussion About This Insane 1940s Etiquette Guide

All excerpts taken from the 1944 lifestyle book Future Perfect: A Guide to Personality and Popularity for the Junior Miss.



BuzzFeed



Supposing a new girl should suddenly step into your crowd, a girl with a slouchy walk and a 'before taking' complexion. A girl with listless eyes and stringy hair. A girl who reminds you of the butter-and-egg man— butter on her blouse and egg on her collar. Before she has even said a word, a swift appraisal runs through your mind, doesn't it? You think she can't possibly be very interesting because of that no-care slouchy walk. Her dull eyes tell you more. They do not radiate enthusiasm for anything. ... No, you think, I don't want her for a friend.



"OK so, first of all, who is the butter-and-egg man?"

"Yeah, that was my main concern."

"Should this girl be in a hospital?"

"I do not like how the narrator is telling us what we think. She doesn't know me. Maybe I fucking love butter. Hot news flash: I do."

"Yeah, and I keep it on my blouse. Easy to reach."

"This woman has come from a breakfast that sounds great and exhausting, and I want to be friends with her so I can go to that breakfast."




View Entire List ›


0 comments:

Post a Comment