Monday, October 13, 2014

*SNIFFLE*



Bob Lowe from Hampshire read this poem on Radio 5 Live this morning. It's an ode to his wife, Kath, who died three years ago after they shared more than six decades of married life together.


As the station reported: "The charity Independent Age and the International Longevity Centre have said the number of older men living on their own is expected to increase by 65% in the next 16 years."


The 93-year-old Lowe is the first community champion for The Silver Line, a helpline for older people. He says on the helpline's site that when Kath died, it was 65 years since they wed, "but more to the point, 72 years since we first kissed…and she waited throughout the war for me and I for her".


"Ode to Kath":


"Ode to Kath":



I am alone, now I know it’s true


There was a time when we were two


Those were the days when we would chat


Doing little jobs of this and that


We’d go to the shops and select our meals


But now I’m one I know how it feels


To try and cook or have meals on wheels


The rooms are empty there’s not a sound


Sometimes I’m lost and wander round


To look for jobs that I can do


To bring back the days when we were two


When darkness falls and curtains drawn


That’s when I feel most forlorn


But I must be honest and tell the truth


I’m not quite alone and here’s the proof


Because beside me in her chair


She quietly waits our time to share


Kath said to me some time ago


Darling when the time comes for us to go


Let’s mix our ashes and be together


So we can snuggle up for ever and ever.



thesilverline.org.uk


0 comments:

Post a Comment